Sunday, November 8, 2009

Inquiry Plan - 1

This past week I have been working on making the data sheets for my students. Most of the week I spent time determining which students I wanted to work with. Because of parental consent issues, I may only have a choice of 2 students. If I use these two students I can not use the sticker system that I had in place because these students do not respond to stickers. In fact, they respond to very few items and can not sit for a period of time for five stickers. Also, these students have a lot of difficulty with academics so I will be monitoring goals, but over the course of 3 weeks there will not be a change, or maybe a slight change, in the data that I collect.
I have been working on data sheets for both students. However once again I was going to make different data sheets for each student, but if I use the students where I can get parental consent (they are brothers), then there is not an option of more than one data sheet because the goals are very clear cut (i.e. the student will identify the color red; the student will point at their nose; the student will turn the pages in a book, etc.).
However, I am working on getting their data sheets ready - due to staffing this week I will not be able to begin actually collecting data until Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Heidi, Wow sounds like you have a challenging assignment. I agree with the parental consent on the video assignment. I also will have a difficult time getting that consent. It will be interesting to see your creativity and how your kids respond to it. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great encouragement Vivian- yes what a drag about the consent. I am wondering if you can do this with different kids and just find something to video without the kids (like the data sheets- you preparing materials- can you interview a teacher about this)--just brainstorming- I don't want you to get hung up on the video and not be able to do the work that is truly valuable to your work as a teacher. I hope that this helps as you think through this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running into the same issue. I will be conduct the video in another school so I have to deal with more people. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely can not use other kids - I only have a total of 7 students in my classroom and out of the 7 there are only 3 that would possibly give me consent - those are the 3 I have worked with for 2 years now. The students who are new to my classroom have parents that are not yet comfortable enough and would in general not want their children videotaped anyway. I am working on it! :)

    ReplyDelete