Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Task 3

Pre-Reading Questions:
I absolutely believe that every student has a capacity to learn. This capacity is shaped by their home environment, opportunities outside of the school, socialization or extracurricular activities, and if the student has a disability it is also based on the early intervention services that the child received. I believe that as a teacher we have a lot of influence upon the capacity to learn once they reach school. It is part of our job to encourage them and to gear some of our instruction to life experiences that the students may have had. Teachers make a huge difference in students' lives and I feel like every teacher has a chance to influence a students ability and/or capacity to learn.
This assumption shapes my instruction every day. I work with students with Multiple Disabilities but I know they can learn and that they have the capacity to learn many different things. I know it may take longer but I know they can do anything they put their minds to. That attitude and assumption helps me create a positive and encouraging environment for my students that help them learn every day.

Post Reading:
What I got most out of the Resnick and Nelson article was that there are numerous ideas of what intelligence is, how it is measured, and what it consists of. There is no one way to look at intelligence and often it is different with every student. They gain information from the world around them, their school environment, their culture, natural ability, and sometimes it is argued that intelligence is gained if the student puts forth the effort.
Also I enjoyed reading about acquiring habits of mind through socialization. I think this is very important and a huge aspect for students especially those with disabilities. The students have a great need for socializing with their peers. This helps them not only become a part of a group and community but also provides models for how they should act in certain places.
I definitely have a hard time believing that effort creates ability. If effort created ability I know a lot of students that would not know much. However it is getting to know your students and providing the necessary motivation for that student to help them learn and succeed in the classroom.
After reading about the four domains, the one that I would like to learn more about is domain 4. I think reflecting on my teaching is something that I do but I need to follow up on that. Maintaining accurate records is very important with all of my students on IEP’s and communicating with families is extremely important each and every day. Also, I am a third year teacher so I think I really need to focus on growing and developing as a professional throughout my next years as at teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi, I agree that students need socialization with their peers. In my class I spend a lot of time on social skills. Environment dictates actions of my students. We take social interaction skills for granted; my students don't understand how loud they are talking, or why telling someone they are fat (because they see it as truth) is not what we do. I try to change what I can but I only have 9-18 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment that if effort creates ability there are many who don't put forth much effort- but what if we could get them to exert more effort- what would that do for them. I think of the tasks that I have put forth much effort and how that helped me grow- but yes exerting that much effort into everything is time consuming and unrealistic- but we need to inspire that effort in our students- right?

    ReplyDelete